Monday, August 8, 2011

Getting Organized for a family 7.

Several of my facebook friends have been asking questions on how to stay organized with so many kids, schools, jobs and sport schedules so I decided to write a blog post about it.  My system is not new and it is not perfect but it sure has worked well for us.This is our calendar and reminder system that is in our back hall...we walk by it  all day long and every single time we leave the house.  I am the only one that is allowed to write dates on it...once in a while the big kids will write in important dates that come up but I have tried to train them to write it on the side so that I know it is getting added. I purchased the wipe off calendar at Staples and the three squares from Target...total cost about 30.00.  This system has worked really well  for us. 

The smaller squares have been used for a variety of things...they are constantly changing and sometimes just filled with  artwork. All of the boards also have magnets so there sometimes there are things hanging off such as work name badges or items that need to be carried by hand to the car.


I do not use a color coding system simply because it was to much work for me to keep up with.  

This is a chalkboard that is on our door that leads  to the garage...I have used it for inspirational messages and also has had  URGENT reminders when I am concerned I just might forget.

This is where all the backpacks go...each kid has their own hook...it is often very messy but it is always straightened up by the end of the day.

This is command central...my calendar.  I have used a wire bound one for years...it is either on the counter in the kitchen or with me in the car.  When I make phone calls it is always in front of me.  When I purchase a new one I always go through the previous calendar and enter important dates that  happen every year such as birthdays , anniversary's etc.

This year we will have 5 kids in 4 schools...the younger kids still get papers sent home in folders so I set them on top of my calendar until the important info is transferred. I have to rely on websites and emails to get the info for the older three so I usually sit down at my computer with my calendar and then go to the wall calendar to write it all one more time.  Yes, things get missed but for the most part I am able to keep things running smoothly...if I want to be sure that it happens it needs to be on the calendars!

No comments:

Post a Comment